- My cart
- No products in the cart.
Jo has her boots firmly on her feet, the jumpers are out of the wardrobe and this can mean only one thing – winter is fast approaching! When the temperature drops outside and the nights are longer there’s nothing like a heart bowl of warm soup and some crusty bread to make you feel all cosy.
Here’s a favourite recipe of ours.
Homemade Tomato Soup
2 Tablespoons of butter
1 Onion – chopped
1 Tablespoon of plain flour
600ml (1pt) of chicken or vegetable stock
450g (1lb) Tomatoes
1 Tablespoon of tomato puree
Fresh or Dried Basil (optional)
Salt and Pepper to taste
- Melt the butter in a large pan, add the onion and garlic and fry until soft.
- Add a good tablespoon of flour and stir on a low heat until a sandy texture.
- Add the stock a little at a time, whisking until smooth. The add the tomatoes and puree.
- Cover and simmer on a low heat for 30-60 min (depending on how long you can wait), but at least until the tomatoes have softened. Remember to stir so it doesn’t stick!
- Now sieve the soup, pushing it with the back of a large spoon. Discard the pip, onion and peel (or just blend the whole thing).
- Return to the heat for a minute or so and add salt, pepper and basil to taste.
- Serve with crusty bread and enjoy.